Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Journey of a Family Home!


The view!

I grew up in a small town called Leavenworth, WA. It is located in the Cascade mountains, surrounded by trees, rivers, animals, and the most breath taking views! My heart lives in that valley, I love everything about the area, the people who live there, and my family home. I can actually feel my stress release from my body when I drive into the last canyon before you enter into the town. I lived in the same house for 23 years, those roots have given me such a sense of security, years of traditions, and a love for family. Someday I hope to move back into that area and provide the same kind of roots for my kids!


My Family Home

My parents own a bed and breakfast in the same house I grew up in. They are two of the most creative and talented people I know. My dad is an excellent chef as well as a very skilled craftsman. He has the skills to build, carve, plumb, wire, masonry work, paint and stucco, and a amazing amount of finish work with ease and finesse. My mom is the most gracious and welcoming lady. She loves people and has a gift of making anyone feel comfortable and welcome in her home. She too is very creative and a great dreamer and planner. When they moved into our home in 1979 the house was a rustic log cabin, essentially a shell of orange and brown. Over the last 30 years she has painted, sewn, fluffed, carpeted, white washed, organized, planned and executed numerous building projects to create a lovely and inviting home. Seriously the house didn't know what was coming its way when these two moved in...oh the stories it could tell if walls could talk!


When they decided to transform our home into a bed and breakfast, both of my parents were teaching full time. Crazy? Maybe, but they knew that retirement was coming, my sister and I were moving out, and they needed a new adventure. All the work would be done by them, and so the projects would be done progressively. So, for the last ten years the house has undergone a series of massive construction projects. First was the addition of two bedrooms, a bathroom, two private decks, and a library in the back of the house. Then we created a suite with two decks overlooking the Icicle valley and the most amazing bathroom to soak all your cares away. Next was a second bathroom for the first two rooms, creating two mini suites. And lastly, over the fourth of July weekend, we launched the biggest project yet...the kitchen!



Their handy work, the suite bathroom and sitting area!



My parents kitchen has been functional and cozy for years, but with the additional cooking that the B&B requires, my parents love for entertaining, and our ever growing family, a bigger kitchen is a must! Our family all gathered for what was going to be a long, hard, sweaty, loud, fun, and sometimes crazy work weekend. We have had many of these, and kinda knew what to expect...but sometimes the unexpected just can't be avoided! Just a few of the unexpected details; holiday weekend means closures and a lack of building supplies, mice nests falling from the rafters, hot weather, electrical burns/fires, no kitchen to cook in...oops, dogs escaping, and my Grandma being rushed to the hospital for her last few days.

Let the packing begin!


Here are some pictures of our starting point, demo, and the shell left for a new beginning. My mom has some amazing appliances, special touches, creative details, and lots of sparkle for this space! We will have many more work weekends planned, but with an end result that is going to be fabulous! I will keep you posted on the progression of this space as it is going to be incredible!

Demo Begins...




The last of the 70's gone..., which has been hidden away in the back of the house....



The shell that is left...



The makeshift kitchen that will have to do until the renovation is done!




What do you think?? It is going to be amazing!

Photos: All rights reserved for Emily Carlson, & Scandinavian Escape

No comments: