Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Friendship...

"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world." — L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables)
Life has thrown me a few curve balls recently.

During this time I have found myself wondering; is it easier to go through life's trials with your protective shield up, drawing within for strength, spending your time quiet and prayerfully seeking guidance, OR walk through life's trials arm-n-arm with girlfriends who want to listen, hold you, pray with you, and help if they can?


Up until now, I have chosen to not "bother" my friends with what is happening in my life, hang mostly with my family, and attempt to navigate within this protected environment. I am not convinced that this was neither a smart nor stupid idea. My family loves me, they know what is really going on in my life, and are always willing to do anything they can to help. However, what I have learned through this situation is that sometimes family...husbands included, should not be the ONLY source of support, listening ear, and helping hand. I am so very, very thankful for my family, my life without them...well not worth living, but this week I was reminded how nice it is to have girlfriends!



Friends are a gift from God, and are vital to our ability to take the next step forward. They create a fresh wind that gently blows through our lives, and I feel invigorated by their presence. For years I prayed that the Lord would give me a group of ladies to share my life with. I prayed for friends who would want me to be part of the inner folds of their life, and would want to be part of mine. I love with words and actions, and I prayed for friends who would value my giftings. Over the years, God has begun to form that group of friends. Each are just a little bit different from each other, and each play a unique role in my life. I am so thankful and SO blessed!


So to my friends who have been gently nudging me along, thank you for caring about me. Thank you for your calls, e-mail, texts, flowers, and coffee dates. You have helped to repair a part of my heart this week, and I am so very thankful. I will do my best to remember how much I love and need each one of you! You are an answer to my prayers!






"Some people go through life trying to find out what the world holds for them only to find out too late that it's what they bring to the world that really counts." — L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables ADAPTED)








"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being, (a friend). We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." ~Albert Schweitzer

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Anne of Green Gables! Keep leaning in!

A Lasting First Impression said...

Nikki,
ME TOO!!!!! Thanks, love you friend.

Karen said...

Very touching! You struck something in my heart. Lately, I've just wanted to pull back, and have my quiet time and go this alone. But, I know that is something that would not be healthy. We are relational people.
Thanks for sharing,
Karen

24 Corners said...

This is a beautiful post Em...and I'm so thankful that you are not only my sis-in-law (family), but also my friend...you are a blessing and I'm so grateful for you!
Love U...J~

btw- Anne is one smart cookie...she's been a "kindred spirit" of mine for a long time!

Lana at Quite Essential said...

Love that you pic one of my favorite redheads for the post...love you friend:)

Gretchen said...

What an inspirational post. Love your blog! Thanks for the visit and comment to mine a bit ago, as I know will become a follower of yours...
Be blessed this week.
Gretchen
http://mimitoriasdesigns.blogspot.com