Saturday, June 19, 2010

An Amazing Man

My dad has been one of the most important people in my life. Since I was a little, I have always been a Daddy's girl. Some of my fondest memories of my dad are some of the most simple times, living life and just being together.

As a child I loved going to the dump with my dad, yes the dump. He would always ask me to ride along in his big blue truck. I got to sit in the middle all snuggled up with him. I thought the dump was fascinating, all those discarded treasures. I always knew we would find something that would just have to go home with us! Then when our treasure adventure was over he would treat me to a bag of peanut M&Ms. Simple right, but I thought it was the best. I loved reading in the hammock under a mountain of blankets, together giggling at the ridiculous story we were reading. I loved flying with my dad, we had some amazing adventures together. Whenever I was with him, no matter where we were, I always felt that we were in an world of our own. Bright, exciting, untapped adventures with him by my side. I am so thankful for the safety and security I had/have in his arms!

My dad is also a man of many talents. In my eyes, there isn't anything he can't do. Here are just a few of his many talents; teacher, first Kindergarten then High School art, amazing artist...pretty much any medium, electrician, top chef, cyclist, pilot, an amazing builder and carver, he races cars, skis, hikes, fishes, hunts, etc.., ect..., etc... My dad is my go-to guy. I know if I have a problem I need solving, I can call him!! Can't figure out why my light switch in the hall is crackling...call Dad. Need to know if I should add 12 tablespoons of butter or 12 teaspoons to the dish I am re-creating...call Dad. Wondering how long a trout can stay in the freezer...call Dad. How do I raise chickens...call Dad. My son just turned on the main gas line in my house, and my entire house is filled with gas...call Dad (outside). The light fell out of the ceiling during my baby's nap, fire hazard? or can I re-wire it...call Dad. How many strings of lights can I connect together on one tree...call Dad. Dog is being attacked my a bear, need to know how to shoot his gun, over the phone...call Dad. Need a report cover done for a report on Elephants, due tomorrow...call Dad. I never worry that he can't solve my problems. I am so thankful for his talents, skills, and ability to teach with patience!

So I love being with my Dad, he is my hero, and my go-to guy. But that isn't what makes my Dad one of the most amazing men I have met. His love for the Lord and his true and pure character are really what makes my Dad special! My Dad has always lead a quiet, faithful walk with the Lord, and I admire the strength he carries with him in all situations. I know that he truly believes, that with God all things are possible, because I have seen it in his everyday life. When I was little I loved standing next to my Dad, listening to his deep voice sing out Amazing Grace, with all the sincerity one could voice behind the lyrics. He jokes that he sings in the key of P, but I think his voice is beautiful! He has always treated my mom and both my sister and I with love and respect. His love is patient, kind, not jealous. His love does not brag and is not arrogant, he does not act unbecomingly and does not seek his own. He is not easily provoked and does not take into account a wrong suffered. He does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. My Dad's love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. His love never fails! (But now faith, hope, love, abide in these three); but the greatest of these is his love). 1 Corinthians 13:4-7,13 I know that this may seem over the top to describe my Dad's love with a scripture verse, but this is really who he is. I can't think of a more perfect way to describe him and his love. I am so thankful for this constant and steady example in my life. I am a stronger person and more confident in who God created me to be because of my Dad exhibiting God's love in my life.


Thank you Dad for your zeal for life, for being my hero, my go-to guy, and for your love. Your walk with the Lord is so encouraging and contagious! Thank you for always loving me, and encouraging me to live my life to the fullest. Thank you for your support and encouragement as I have moved through life's challenges! I love you, my life is better because of you!
Happy Father's Day! XXOO

P.S. My Dad is also an amazing Papa to his five talented grandchildren! They love him almost as much as I do, I just have had the privilage of a longer history with him! Also, VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: My dad wouldn't be half of the amazing man he is without the love and support of my mom. She has refined and encouraged him in their 46 years of knowing one another, and 40 years of marriage! Thank you mom for being Dad's constant support! Love you!

2 comments:

24 Corners said...

Beautiful, beautiful post Em...couldn't have been sweeter or more loving. xoxo

A Lasting First Impression said...

Thanks, I think the world of my dad! It was wonderful to see you yesterday! Wishing you a wonderful week and a lot of productivity! : )