Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Dream Like Weekend

I had the BEST weekend!
It bounced back and forth between dream like and a heart throbbing, full of life intensity! Location of some of my best dreams...HOME, and that is always good!
I celebrated my birthday on Saturday, and when asked what I wanted to do for my birthday celebration, I can think of no better plan than to go home and spend my day with family. When we are all together, we fill the house to the brim...eleven smiling, crying, mischievous, yawning faces, 22 hands getting into anything and everything including dismantling the baseboard heater..., 22 feet scuttling, running, jumping, kicking, chasing, and hiding in every square inch of the house, too many toys to count, 2 dogs...one slow, one really fast, and only four parents and two grandparents attempting to contain the happy chaos!

My trip began on Thursday with a glorious drive over the mountains. Fall was in her glory, bright & intense in colors of vibrant red, sunny yellow, and warm orange. With every twist and turn of the road I exclaimed, praised God for his handy work, and began to breath a little lighter. I love home, and as I approach I can literally feel the weight lifting off my shoulders. I drove with camera in one hand, steering wheel in the other, and eyes constantly wandering. We did make it safe in case you were worried...


We picked up Nini, in one swift move, and drove directly to Daddy who is in the middle of a month working stretch away from our home! He was greeted with the thumping of new rain boots, squeals, hugs, and slobbery pre-schooler kisses! Daddy is working the harvest season for our friends who own a winery. This was a whole new, unexplored, exciting boy paradise...complete with fresh, crunchy apples, tire swings, ponds and rocks, grapes on the vine, a forklift ride, and wine tasting for mom! No better reward for surviving a long week without Daddy!


The weekend continued with a fun & festive football game against the local high school rival! I still think there is nothing better than the feeling of a cold metal bleacher making a frosty impression, while I am wrapped, bundled, tucked, and stuffed under, around, and in a mountain of blankets, scarves, and hats. The smell of the cold Fall air mixing with stadium popcorn, nacho cheese, and fresh cut grass! The boys LOVED the mascots, the rivaling bands competing for airspace, and the fun...usually not allowed, treats!

We took walks, played at the park, rolled down hills, and romped through cow pastures...full of cows. Note: playing in a field full of grazing cows, including a very large bull, is not recommended without proper tools for defending yourself while you are being chased!

The kids loved our visit to the local pumpkin patch and farm, ate our fair share of kettle corn, and purchased all things apple related!

Birthday celebrations were held that evening at a beautiful candle lit table, with Dads amazing food on favorite family china. Pre-dinner drinks and appetizers, made by my creative sis, were amazing!!! Pear martinis, brie, prosciutto, pears, and rosemary crackers fit right into the Fall theme. So fun to be celebrated, I am looking forward to another year of new adventures.

Christmas pictures were taken and just in time might I add...the snow began to fall about an hour after the last picture was snapped. This freakishly early storm set the scene for a very intense, scary, and slippery drive back over the same mountains that just three days earlier were tame and nonthreatening. Slow and steady wins the race, two hours behind schedule, we arrived back home to drop kids and embark on our annual girls only birthday shopping trip. The weekend concluded with a very fun, successful, and wet shopping trip...it was snowing in the mountains which means Noah's ark was floating in the city!!! Tired, newly clothed, and sufficiently soaked I returned home ready to begin a new week!

I am blessed, & so love birthday weekends at home.

How about you, how do you like to spend your birthday?




I meant to post this on Monday, but between re-entry, shopping, and spending time with mom...my post was delayed. Hope that is okay with you....


3 comments:

24 Corners said...

Glad you had such a special birthday weekend Em...you deserved it!!! Looking forward to celebrating with you this coming one...love the pic's by the way!xox J~

Ann said...

Happy Birthday! What stunning pictures - glad you had a great weekend. A x

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Well happy happy birthday to you! The kids are so adorable! SO glad you had such a great weekend!
XO
Kristin