Friday, September 23, 2011

Sometimes The Truth Hurts...



Admitting you need help is sometimes the hardest thing to do!





This is a lesson I have been learning over the course of the last 18 months, and am still learning! During our unemployment journey I felt like I worked my way through levels of humbleness, vulnerability, and the willingness to say..."I need help." Just when I thought I had shed off the last of my pride and learned my lesson, our situation would get worse, and I would have another choice to make! Usually I would choose to struggle for a while, pull up my boot straps, put on a smile, and do my best. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you should let others solve all your problems while you sit on the sofa and eat bon-bons. It is great to learn your own strength, get creative, and problem solve. But there also comes a time when learning when you need to ask for help from the Lord, your family, your church family, or even the community, will truly save your life.


This lesson was never harder than the day when I realized I didn't have enough food to feed my boys. As a mom, nothing could be more important or foundational than putting food in front of my kids. I was terrified, without any clear ideas on what to do, so I literally just sat down and fell apart. After some good cry time, I pulled myself together and prayed! I called out with all that was in me for a solution, for HELP! I needed free or dirt cheep, quality, food...but where was I going to find that. Then the Lord answered... Three minutes down the road from my house was a community food bank. The people who volunteer their time, at the food bank, to help families in the community are kind, generous, and there to with open arms.



This wonderful food bank has saved our "bacon" a few times now, and I just can't tell you how blessed we feel when driving away with more than enough food to feed my family. The last time I needed to visit them I had to take my boys with me. I struggled keeping the tears back as I tried to explain to my boys where we were going and why. (I wouldn't want them to EVER worry that they wouldn't have food or that we couldn't provide for them.) However, to my surprise they were excited to be part of "our shopping trip," and asked if they could help say thank you to the people who were providing us with food! Their sweet spirit was a total blessing to me, and their helpful attitudes made our visit so much easier. The volunteers at the food bank were kind and very generous with my boys, and they each left saying how much FUN they thought our "shopping trip" was!!! All I could say was, Praise the Lord!!!



The point of this story, I want you to know there is NO shame in needing to ask for help from time to time. Being part of a community, whether a church community or public, is such a blessing! You don't have to do it alone! I know there are many families in this same situation all across the country right now, and I would just encourage you to let go of your fear and pride and reach out...let someone help you! Then when you can, return the favor. My boys and I are adding volunteering at the food bank into our homeschooling curriculum this year. I want our family to give back, and I want my boys to experience the pure joy in helping another!


I hope you are encouraged today!


John 15:12
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

BTW, Happy First Day of FALL!!! Love this season!!!

3 comments:

24 Corners said...

So difficult to remember...but the lessons that came of it all are priceless. xoxo

Shannan Martin said...

I love your open heart. :)

A Lasting First Impression said...

Thank you both, this has been a humbling adventure. Out of the ashes came new growth... : )